Jun is a small town in Spain. It is run completely on Twitter. Everything from government laws, job advertisements and the police is run through Twitter. You can even reserve a doctor’s appointment on Twitter here!
The town is home to 3,500 residents and has been using Twitter successfully in every area of society since 2011.
Everything in the town is done very efficiently because Twitter communication is instant. For example, one resident reported that a street lamp was broken on Twitter. Within 4 minutes, the lamp was repaired.
Even the older citizens of Jun use Twitter. The town organises special classes for over 65s to learn about the internet and social media.
The mayor of Jun says that using Twitter helps increase community spirit; citizens can contact government directly and immediately, and it helps people get recognition for the work that they do.
The Street Cleaner of the town posts ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos of his work.
Jun is the only town in the world that operates entirely on social media. Original story from: Digital Trends
1) What is your opinion on this? Do you think it is a good idea?
2) What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Twitter like this?
3) Do you use Twitter?
4) Do you think Twitter and social media will become more or less popular in the future?
5) In what other ways could social media be used for good?
6) Do you think that bigger towns could use social media in this way?